Saturday, October 23, 2010

I'm moving to a different time zone (8 hr diff.) how will it effect my BCP's by changing the time i take them?

I'm moving to Italy soon with my husband, since there is such a big difference in the time zone I will have to change the time I take my usualy birth control pill. How will it effect the pill? Will I need to use additonal protection until my body gets used to the new time?I'm moving to a different time zone (8 hr diff.) how will it effect my BCP's by changing the time i take them?
Taking an extra pill won't hurt you- just double up on the day of the switch
Not at the same time, but at the old and new time, then 24 hours later at the new time.
You'll be a tad nauseated, but it's well worth it because you don't have to use a backup method like rubbers. You'll be one low on the pack, so either request an extra pill pack from your pharmacy, or expect that you'll get your period a day early this month =)
I've had to do this before and my doctor recommended this method---oh, I have an IUD now, much less fuss!! =D
You have several choices for changing the time you take your pill. You could gradually move the time you take your pill by taking it an hour later, and then a few days later move it another hour, etc. until you are taking it at the new time.
You could wait until you start a new pack after your reminder week, and just start the new pack at the new time.
Or you could just start taking the pill at the new time in the middle of the pack.
Whatever way you choose to use, I would suggest using your back up method of birth control for the first cycle, just to be sure your body has adjusted to the new schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment